Thrice Cursed Throne
Korvosan holidays and festivals
While a relatively strict and taciturn people, Korvosans do occasionally enjoy chances to loosen up and celebrate something important. In chronological order through the year, Korvosa’s 10 most popular celebrations are:
1. King Eodred II’s Birthday, 16 Calistril: By royal dictate, the city marks the aging king’s birthday with scantily clad girls and women dancing and serving free wine to celebrants.
2. Sable Company Founding Day, 6 Pharast: A formal celebration marked by a parade and displays of martial prowess, this somber holiday is one of few that precludes alcohol.
3. Breaching Festival, last Sunday of Desnus
4. Day of Destiny Festival, 3 Sarenith: Held to be the day Emperor Halleck IV signed the charter that eventually became Korvosa, celebrants of this holiday toast the city’s health with cheap but abundant liquor.
5. Riverwind Festival, 22 Sarenith: At the start of summer, the prevailing winds shift for a few weeks, bringing a cool breeze down from the Mindspin Mountains. This break from the heat is celebrated in the traditional way (i.e., drinking to excess).
6. Founding Festival, 14 Erastus: The wildest parties and festivities occur on the anniversary of the city’s founding. Alcohol, fireworks, and extravagant displays of magical prowess light the city into the wee hours of the following morning.
7. Saint Alika’s Birthday, 31 Arodus: More a time of reflection than an excuse to party, this small festival is celebrated with red and white flowers and platefuls of raw Alikan oysters.
8. Crabfest, first Wealday of Rova: As winter approaches, crabs that had migrated to the cooler waters of the Jeggare River return to the bay. Many end up as dinner at feasts.
9. Great Fire Remembrance, 13 Neth: Somber and quiet, this holiday shuts down the city. Most people stay at home and, by tradition, no one lights a fire from dawn on the 13th until sunrise on the 14th.
10. Pseudodragon Festival, 7 Kuthona: The last wild (alcohol-fueled) celebration of the year occurs to mark the migration of wild pseudodragons from their warm-weather homes in the Mindspin Mountains to their wintering habitats along the bay. The city’s tame and domesticated pseudodragons take to the sky and greet their cousins, often spending most of the day
frolicking above the city.